Thursday, December 2, 2010

An idea shared has the power to inspire and engage

For too long, I've been keeping ideas to myself. Not to hoard them, but rather out of fear of being seen as a dreamer, a crackpot. I felt that ideas weren't worth sharing unless they were fully formed, ready to be funded and planned and executed. The idea had to be both novel and important in some way and that somehow, mine rarely measured up. 

But recent work on my personal mission has helped reframe my thinking about these ideas. Now, I see these incomplete ideas as seeds of greater understanding, as opportunities to inspire and engage. I see, too, that these ideas are a gift just waiting to manifest.

It's time to live out loud, to speak up, to free those unfinished thoughts and open myself up to the new experiences and understanding that only collaboration can bring. Most learning and growth happens when we share experiences, understanding, desires, and challenges. To that end, I'll use this space to bring those ideas off the notepad, out of the mindmap, and into the crowd master mind.

I'll hold fast to a belief that, through sharing, these ideas will stimulate dialog. Through that dialog, we will bring our efforts into alignment and integrate our resources. Together, we'll create future states greater than each of us alone would dare dream.

So, please... Join me in this journey of understanding. Let's flesh out some big ideas.


Peace and progress,
Tom

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Tom! I'm glad to see you're putting your ideas out here, and look forward to hearing your thoughts. I remember our conversations from several years back:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the encouragement, Manya, and for planting the fertile seeds. Great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tom, very exciting to see this post! I love the approach you're taking - tapping the "crowd master mind." I do a lot of the same, not hoarding ideas but thinking they need somehow to be better than they are before I share them. At the same time, I no longer believe fully formed ideas make sense - they need to be constantly in process, out in the light and air, being kept relevant and powerful. I'm with you!

    ReplyDelete

Sharing is encouraged and appreciated!